Re: Re[2]: [squid-users] About multiple ISP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:24:44 +0200

On Monday 20 May 2002 14:10, Dzintars Irbe wrote:
> Does that mean that if I specify tcp_outgoing_address = [ISP givven
> IP for box] that SQUID will make all the cashing through this
> IP?

Yes.

> Why routing?

The fact that you tell Squid to use a specific IP does not make your
Squid host route this traffic via the ISP where this IP belongs. Any
host that is multihomed with more than one Internet connections must
be carefully setup to route the correct traffic to the correct ISP.

> If I have box with 2 IP - one from each ISP:
> ISP1 gives ip "x", ISP2 gives IP "y". I need SQUID to work through
> "y". So I specify tcp_outgoing_address to be "y", and SQUID
> works through this link, not through other? Or I misunderstund that
> thing?

Squid has no control of how your Squid server host will route the
traffic. If can only control which of the IP addresses available on
the host will be used.

Which ISP the traffic actually gets sent to is a routing problem.

Note: Quite likely your whole problem can be solved most easily by
correct routing, with no need to tell Squid anything about
tcp_outgoing_address.

Regards
Henrik Nordström