Re: [squid-users] 304 not modifed with must-revalidate

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 08:20:33 +0200

On Wednesday 22 May 2002 05:08, Warrick FitzGerald wrote:

> I have an ide re: how squid should behave when must-revalidate is
> supplied .... in short ... if squid has a cached copy of the page
> which includes a last-modifed and a user requests that page from
> the cache. Squid should revalidate the content of the page with the
> WWW Server, however it should also include the If-Modified-Since
> header in order to give the WWW server opertunity to respond with a
> 304 not modified and allow the proxy to return the cached page to
> the user.

Except that the If-Modified-Header sent by Squid should in many cases
match what it has cached, not what the client has cached.

> What currently happens is that the WWW server has to generate the
> content every time.

Then Squid did not think it was worth to cache the original content
for some reason.

If Squid does not have a cached copy, then the client request will be
forwarded as-is with If-Modified-Since etc..

Your source of advanced web reverse proxying solutions
http://www.marasystems.com/products/