RE: [squid-users] Yahoo Messenger and MSN not working in squid

From: Bryan Ragon <bragon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:14:46 -0400

I don't know the answer to the original question (Missed it when it went
through), but why is it whenever someone asks about a chat client and why it
doesn't work through squid, the canned answer is always "Squid is a HTTP
only proxy." Yes, we know that. But are you forgetting that almost every
chat client out there supports HTTP proxies? In that case as long as your
squid.conf allows the correct connection methods to the correct ports/IP's,
the client should work. I.e. I asked why I couldn't get aim working across
my squid several months back. I recenlty discovered myself that it was
because I needed to allow the CONNECT method to a particular port on a
particular server (one of the oscar login servers), and viola, Squid allowed
my aim chat client to work.

A more helpful answer would be:
        "Squid only supports http requests, so you need to be certain that your
chat client supports using a http proxy and that it is configured to connect
to your squid server at the right server and port."

From there you could add:
        "To allow connecting to XXX service (aol,msn,yahoo) you need to create
these ACL's that allow connections to these servers"

or
        "Then check your squid logs to see what type of connections are being
requested when you start up your client and where they are going to, then
create the acl's to allow them."

I don't mean this email to sound confrontational, I've just noticed many
times on this list people with questions about chat clients get rather short
and curt replies that don't help the questioner or give them advice on what
to do next.

Bryan