[squid-users] VERY slow response

From: David Beards <d.beards@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:00:18 +1000

Good Morning Everyone,

We have set up squid in our organization as a hierarchical cache to
distribute load and produce a much larger cache.

We recently had a problem occur where response time went right through
the floor to the point where access is almost impossible. The
configuration is such:

1 server within the DMZ running on a SUN Ultra 5 (The main Parent Cache
Squid 2.4STABLE2)
2 Servers in the internal network as siblings of the parent running on
Sun 450's (Using Squid 2.4.STABLE6)

Load average on the servers sits around 1.2 - 1.5 with squid using 50%
of the CPU and 20M of memory. Applications running on the server seem to
run fine so it doesn't appear to be the server getting overloaded, but
internet access is either very slow or not possible, and cachmgr usually
hangs either when logging in or trying to access statistics on the
server.

Checking the access.log tends to show no activity occurring and cache
utilization tends to show an average of client_http.requests =
0.649656/sec

Can anyone point me in the direction as to where I should look? I know
it's this
cache causing the problem as I connect directly to the parent and get
fairly reasonable responses.

Is it possible that it's the client causing the slow responses? (We use
Netscape 4.x, however using IE tends to appear to be faster)

--
David Beards
Technical Manager Networks and Systems