Re: [squid-users] cache tree structure

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 02:34:28 -0500

You're confusing me with all the firsts, seconds, and thirds!

If your network requires that all requests go out of Squid 1, then you
can configure both Squid 2 and Squid 3 (and 4 and 5 and so on) with
Squid 1 as their parent. Each of the Squids 2 and 3 through n should be
configured as siblings to each other in order to share data. You should
never have a multiple parent path, if you can possibly avoid it.

For example, don't do Squid 3 -> Squid 2 -> Squid 1 -> Internet. This
is a badly implemented cache topology, and latency will suffer because
of it.

Instead, do something like:

Squid 2 ---parent-> Squid 1 -> internet
|sibling|
Squid 3 ---parent-> Squid 1 -> internet

Above Squid 1 and internet are the same, of course...I just couldn't
think of a way to diagram them easily.

Thus the preference can be to choose cached objects from the closer
caches (2 and 3), and if not available get it from the parent. If the
parent doesn't have it cached, it knows how to get it from the internet.

Give that a try. There are other ways, of course, but that ought to
work fine.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.