[squid-users] To RAID or not to RAID...

From: Phil Oester <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 21:29:39 -0700

I've got a dual 1ghz, 1gb system with 5x72gb drives, and am wondering what the best configuration would be for the drives/cache.

Since it has a hardware RAID controller, my initial inclination would be to go RAID 5 across all 5 drives (no hot spare), and after the OS, I'd be left with ~270gb for the cache partition. But I've been reading a few old posts and some people have suggested avoiding RAID.

Another possibility was to put Linux on 1 drive, then use a RAID 0 stripe across the other 4 drives for speed. Granted, if I blow any single drive in the box, I'm hosed - but I'll have 3 total boxes in a load balanced configuration.

Any thoughts?

Also - given the above 1gb RAM configuration, what is the largest cache size you would recommend? Should I use the available 270gb, or should I cut it off at some limit? I'll be using AUFS on Linux 2.4.

- Phil