Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid authentication prompt

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 07:04:12 -0500

Henrik Nordström wrote:
> Wei Keong wrote:
>

>>Another questions, is it possible to launch DOS attack to squid
>>authentication?
>

> Yes, by flooding Squid with invalid logins. Will make it a bit hard for new
> users to log in as all the helpers will be busy processing the invalid
> logins. Won't affect already logged in users much until their TTL expires.
>

>>If yes, how do we prevent such attach?
>

> By analyzing the log and then use a basebollbat on the responsible for the
> attack.

I will point out what Henrik here implies: Your firewall should
probably be preventing anyone from outside of your network from
attempting to contact the proxy at all, thus the only people who could
launch such an attack will be within your local net. Usually makes it
easy to find them for re-education in netiquette (whether it requires a
baseball bat for that re-education is up to you).

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.