[squid-users] Blocking Canonical Names, Not IP Addresses

From: Cliff <cliff@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 05:46:20 -0800

Hi Squid Listers

Problem:

Many hosting providers will co-locate porn sites
on the same webserver that also hosts non-porn web sites.
They use Apache's name based virtual web hosting for this.

So a porn site may actually exist at the exact same
IP address as a non-porn site.

Our existing porn filter does a canonical name lookup
and then blocks the web site's IP address. So if we choose
to block a porn site...we are also choosing to block any/all
web sites that may exist at that IP address.

The existing porn filter is from H2N.

Needless to say, the users don't understand why
http://non-porn.website.com is blocked, the reason being
that http://good-porn.website.com and http://non-porn.website.com
are both hosted at the same IP addy via name based virtual hosting.

So can squid block by canonical name only?
It seems like blocking by canonical name only would leave
the rest of the non-porn websites at the same address reachable.

Or perhaps I'm mistaking/misunderstanding something?

Thank you fellow Squid Gurus.