Re: [squid-users] squidaio_queue_request: WARNING - Queue congestion

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 13:29:22 -0500

Aditya Budi wrote:
> thanks for the suggestion folks ..
> ... finally my problem has disappear..
> i've moving all my traffic to this server, and i guess
> that message in my logs because too little traffic ;)

Oh, in that case you were just seeing startup queue congestion after an
abnormal Squid shutdown. A couple of those messages on startup after an
abnormal shutdown is 'normal'. So the warning might be a little too
sensitive.

>>In this case, the difference between 32 and the 50
>>threads that have
>>been specified isn't going to be very big. There
>>are probably other
>>issues causing troubles, but using the default
>>number of threads is a
>>good place to start...
>

> and may i ask few more question.. ?
>
> if my memory serve mine ,right.. you ever mentioned
> in squid user or squid devel list, that for increasing
>
> request/second .. you use some iptables rules for
> load balancing request to a few squid process
> (i assume using one box) that listen on spesific ip or

The only reason this is ever a reasonable option for increasing
performance is when you have multiple processors (because Squid can only
effectively use one processor). Your example of 3 Squid processes is
counter-productive unless you have three CPUs. Likewise, the examples
I've given in the past of using two Squid processes would be
counter-productive unless you have two processors.

But, if you have an SMP box and want Squid to take full advantage of a
second CPU this works fine. It makes management more complicated (two
config files, two sets of logs and cache_dirs), so if you don't need it,
don't do it.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.