RE: [squid-users] Squid and ssh tunneling

From: Castricum, Ben <BenC@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:53:03 +0200

Bennett F. Dill wrote:

> Does that make a bit more since? Basically, I want to enable
> use of my cache server on its' external interface on the default
> port only if the user is authenticated and using ssh.
> Is this possible???

There's no standard way of achieving this. It would require watching for
incoming ssh connections and configure squid's acls accoordingly. You need
some programming skills for this.

Is there a reason you need clients to connect to the external interface?
Once the portforwarding ssh tunnel is established clients connect on the
cache's localhost by default. You can let squid only listen to
127.0.0.1:3128 which would be a more secure setup and only allow ssh
authenticated clients.

Ben