RE: [squid-users] How to get client IP ?

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:15:00 -0400

It doesn't sound like you are wanting to use a proxy, but more of a NAT
or IP Masquerading server. Although, you are probably attempting to
determine which user accesses that web server, right?

If you are simply attempting to determine which IP Addresses access the
web server, there are two things that you can do.

1. Setup a user access control list that requires authentication. This
will create a user line for each web-access that goes through the proxy.
This information will be located in your access.log

2. Check the access.log, it may already have all of the information that
you are looking for. If I understand correctly, regardless of how you
setup Squid, it will list all of the IP Addresses as well as the sites
that those internal IP Addresses request. This is all saved in the
access.log.

    From my own experience, this file can grow to 4MBs within just a few
days with just a few users accessing it. My internal network has 6 users
that access the proxy server and the file grew to just over 4MB after
almost a week of being in service.

        However, if you are attempting to determine the internal IP Addresses
from the machine that is serving up the page, I doubt that is possible
with the proxy, NAT or IP-Masquerading.

        Part of the purpose of the 3 above services is to "hide" the internal IP
addresses, allow multiple computers to share one external IP Address or
cut down on bandwidth usage.

        I hope that is enough information for you.

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer
IMPEL Industries, Inc.