Re: [squid-users] Authentification against a NDS

From: Gerben Welter <gerben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:23:21 +0200

At 12:16 6/10/2002 +0200, Nicolas MATHEY wrote:
>Hi,
>I would like to authenticate squid's user against a NDS server. So I tried
>to use PAM authentification program, with a specified module (not ldap),
>but it didn't work.
>Is somebody could explain me which module i must use, and about the
>different paramaters, because i'm a big newbie in PAM authentification.

If you want to do real NDS authentication not authentication using LDAP,
you need NDS Authentication Services from Novell. Authentication Services
provides pam modules and agents/nlms for Novell. Look here for the info:

http://www.novell.com/products/ndsas/

I'm using Authentication Sevices at home with Squid and it works well. But
the the facts that the user has to type in his/her credentials every time a
new browser is started (atleast with MS Internet Explorer), refrains me
from using it in a production environment. This is due a shortcoming in IE
and not Squid.

This is why we still use Novell Bordermanager with transparent
authentication (Client Trust program) at work.

I'm in the process of setting up a Squid solution with ident, because
Bordermanager is giving us some problems with it's cache volumes.

Grtz Gerben.