RE: [squid-users] How to get client IP ?

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:11:00 -0400

I am sorry, but my suggestion will only work after the fact, not during
the fact.

The only thing that I could think of might be related to how you
configure the web server to get the job done. I have gone to many sites,
most notably my bank, through my proxy server and it "knows" if I am
still connected and for how long I am connected. It is possible that is
done with a client side java applet though.

However, there are a few other sites that do update whether or not a user
is logged into them, most notably online dating web-sites, since they
often allow "real-time" interaction with the users that have logged in.

Yes, I have used those sites and yes they are able to perform this
function through a proxy server.

I hope that is enough information to point you in the right direction.
You could attempt to contact some of the companies that run those online
dating sites to see if they will share how it is done. Otherwise, I would
have to recommend looking into newsgroups for whatever web-server you are
using.

Good luck.

Regards,
Robert Adkins