RE: [squid-users] Block by Content?

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:35:00 -0400

I do not have the link handy, however there is a site that has two lists
of keywords. These disallow known porn sites as well as allow non-porn
sites that have somewhat similar names.

For example:

Block list

sex

Safe List

Essex.com

What it does is parse the requested URL in the ACL. It first confirms
that a portion of, or the whole thing is on the blocked list. Then it
checks the "safe" list and confirms whether a site is okay.

With this, you can block whole sites with a URL in the porn list and
allow whole sites in the safe list. Portions of words can be used as
well. I can forward the plain text files that I have altered with a
number of sites, if you would be willing to forward additional sites that
you will add to it as time goes on.

The only thing that you would have to do is parse your access.log for the
"trouble" users that hit the questionable sites from time to time.
Eventually, they will figure out that you are on to them and will give up
hunting for questionable material.

Of course, you would need to be using some authentication for each user
to b able to be listed in the access.log file.

It is also important to note that it might be less stressful for your
server to parse only URLs instead of downloading a web-site and then
parse an entire file. I am unsure how many users you have, but
downloading a site that will then be allowed or denied after being parsed
is much more process intensive then allowing or denying a URL.

Good luck. Oh, and if you need to look up that page, type in: porn deny
list squid, into the google search engine. I would post the URL, but our
ISP cut our line, without asking and it has been a rough week attempting
to get them to return it. This E-mail is being sent through a really slow
back-up dial-in connection.

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer