RE: [squid-users] Squid require multiple auth

From: Hermann Strassner <hermann.strassner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:50:19 +0200

No, it is not that easy.
In every request, squid gets the user credentials from the application (as
written in HTTP 1.0 or 1.1). These are cached by the application.
If a new application uses Squid, it has no idea on the user, so it gives the
user a prompt.
Mind: it does not try to authenticate with an empty password, it just asks
the user for his password. To avoid this, squid would have to transfer the
username and password to the application!

How could Squid do this? It has no idea on the password, it just can verify
one.

Hermann