Re: [squid-users] Problems with Transparent Proxy and Webmail and sending data

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:20:50 +0200

Odd.. I don't see any reason why Squid should attempt to bind to these
addresses. Somewhere it must have confused the address of the server with the
address of itself..

Can you find any correlation with requests in access.log?

I only know of occations Squid ever to bind to a specific address like below
and that is

a) When tcp_outgoing_address is used

b) When establishing the data channel of FTP requests in PORT mode.

But a quick grep on the sources reveals what I think may be the cause. Most
likely you are running a transparent proxy and is attempting to use ident.
ident is not compatible with transparent proxying.

When Squid starts a ident lookup, it must first bind to the local (to Squid)
endpoint of the client connection. When you run a transparent proxy this is
the IP address of the origin server, which ofcourse will not be possible as
this IP address does not exists on the Squid server...

Regards
Herik