Re: [squid-users] ICP on Load Balancing Server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:02:57 +0200

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 08.53, García García, Alberto wrote:
> Hi all, I configured a Load Balancing Server with the ports 8080
> and 3130, this server send the ICP and HTTP requests to two proxys,
> but when i configure squid with the load balancing server ip adress
> the ICP messages say that the parent has dead.

If you are using ICP then there should be one peering directly to each
cache. There is little point in having a load balancer inbetween when
you are using ICP as ICP already provides you the load balancing and
more.

If you are using a load balancer and want everything sent via this you
should perhaps consider not using ICP as the two are mostly redundant
in a parent relation.

Also note that ICP is using UDP, not TCP. Not all load balancers
supports UDP in a good manner. And I am not sure if ICP is very NAT
frieandly..