Re: [squid-users] "Accept-Encoding" header

From: Slava Bizyayev <sbizyaye@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:38:33 -0500

It sounds a very bad news for the content compression. Let me try to
explain:

On httpd I have to decide whether the content compression should be applied
to the response of the particular request, or not. In fact, I can not
(safely) compress data when the request is coming through the proxy. Even I
find in Via, that the primary request was HTTP/1.1 (let's say from
MSIE-6.0), I have to send back the HTTP/1.0 response, which should not be
compressed and/or chunked. Finally, the web traffic through the proxy will
be several times bigger, and every end-user of your proxy (especially on
dialup) will wait longer for every uncompressed web page. (Should I mention
the closed connection too?)

I firmly believe, this is not what we all wish to happen, but I have no clue
how to create better response for the proxy in this case. Especially,
keeping in mind the rfc2616 option for proxy to replace the (partial) value
of Via for the security purposes.

Please, could you share with me your ideas, how could we together serve your
clients better? Probably, I'm missing something important?

Thanks,
Slava

From: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@squid-cache.org>