RE: [squid-users] 50 requests per second

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 07:45:00 -0400

Aaron,

        First, I must state that I am far from an expert with Cisco products.
However, I believe that it is safe to say that for the most part, Cisco
routers have no moving parts, like Hard drives in a computer system. Due
to this fact alone, they are considerably less likely to fail, in
comparison with a server.

        Sure, there are people that have servers running 24/7 for ten years...
Blah, blah, blah... There is still a likely chance that a hard drive will
crash.

        Having a server with moving parts as a single point of failure is quite
a risky venture. Due to the configuration possibilities of a server it
could take 8 or more hours just to bring it back to the state it was
before the failure. Of course, some or most of those services could be
restored far sooner then 8 hours.

        Again, I am unfamiliar with Cisco routers, but I would imagine that if
you have a back-up of the configuration and a known-good spare unit, the
Cisco router configuration could probably be restored within a
half-hour's time.

        Personally, I would rather rely on nearly anyone's hardware pure router
as a single point of failure instead of a machine with a few spinning
magnetic discs.

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer