Re: [squid-users] 50 requests per second?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:21:38 -0500

You're right, WCCP use under Squid is not well documented...but it also
is not very complicated.

If you're using Red Hat, you can grab one of my kernel packages here
which are already patched for WCCP (or wait a day and get the latest
2.4.9-37 kernel when I get it uploaded):

http://swelltech.com/support/updates/7.x/RPMS/

We'll be switching to Red Hat 7.3 in the next week or two, so 2.4.18
packages will come eventually.

Anyway, these kernels already have a patched ip_gre module, so to
configure the kernel side of things is as simple as:

modprobe ip_gre
ifconfig gre0 192.168.1.1

Then create a redirect rule, as usual, except the source for traffic can
be isolated to the gre0 interface. Note that the gre0 interface does
not need a routable IP--so give it a dummy. If you give it an IP on
your local net, and set it up using the Red Hat network scripts, it will
steal the route (since 'gre' comes after 'eth' alphabetically, the
startup scripts hit gre last and sets the route to gre0, which won't work).

Also add your router to the squid.conf wccp_router configuration directive.

Beyond that, normal transparent configuration applies.

See? Couldn't be easier. But could be better documented. I'll put it
on my to-do list (which is too long already).