Re: [squid-users] Performance tunning !

From: Ling Hwa Hing <hwahing@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:13:53 +0800

Hi,
Me got a box with 1GB of ram and 2 scsi Harddisk.
I've tweak the kernel to handle more TCP connection and increase the
FD_size for my squid. Currently it just serve for 100 client
if I route few more subnet to the box the client unable to receive the
content of the web. I can only see the browser status is just "opening page"

My box looks like more on traffic saturation than transparent proxy.
And in the cache manager I can't see ant problem for the client. and there
only error message from cache.log are,
2002/06/24 02:44:30| WARNING: Closing client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx connection due
to lifetime timeout
2002/06/24 02:44:30| http://www.livescore.com/img/off.gif
2002/06/24 02:44:30| http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/selfupd.cab
2002/06/24 02:44:30| WARNING: Closing client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx connection due
to lifetime timeout
2002/06/24
02:44:30| http://www.malaysiakini.com/images/deviderOpFeatHeadOpin.jpg
2002/06/24 03:02:38| WARNING: Closing client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx connection due
to lifetime timeout
2002/06/24 03:02:38| http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/ratul/bgp/index.html
2002/06/24 03:02:38| WARNING: Closing client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx connection due
to lifetime timeout
2002/06/24
03:02:38| http://www.jobsdb.com.my/Images/XX/EN/Buttons/Previous.gif
But client running with out the proxy able to surf the URL above.

Any way to solve this problem?

Thanks,
hwahing

At 01:44 AM 6/25/02 -0500, you wrote:
>No. Making those changes is unlikely to have any positive impact on Squid
>performance.
>
>And you can't possibly make informed decisions about Squid performance,
>and tuning, without first knowing how it is currently performing. Learn
>to use the cache manager, vmstat, top, etc. Then worry about tuning if
>you see a problem.
>
>Arindam Haldar wrote:
>>hi all,
>>i want to ask if changing the following will help in increase performace
>>our transparent squid pc.. the default on the server is
>>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem
>>4096 87380 174760
>>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem
>>4096 16384 131072
>>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack
>>1
>>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps 1
>>will changing the sack & timestamp to 0 help ?.. or increse the memory
>>for sockets help in performance ?
>>at present the trafic handled by the server is about 2mbps at peak times
>>& about 1 mbps at night... the server is asambled one with 512mb ram on
>>810 intel chipset & p-III 800mhz .. i dont have any performace meter or
>>analyser on this server to present any figures here !
>>thanking in advance for ur help ...
>>A.H
>

>--
>Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
>Web caching appliances and support.
>http://www.swelltech.com

Ling Hwa Hing
High Tech ASP Sdn Bhd
Tel: 03-7803 7777
Fax: 03-7805 3111
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless
interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise
dull day.