[squid-users] Access Control and Bandwidth Mgmt - Is Squid the right tool

From: <mdajay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:42:45 -0400

Hi All ,

I am trying to do an application for my network of 150 odd nodes (windoz boxes) for access control and bandwidth management for Internet usage. I basically need them to authenticate themselves to server (linux machine, which is the only machine connected to the network) for any communication outside our network including but not limited to ftp, telnet, https, http, ping, smtp.

Am wondering if I could use the authentication programs via squid (as come bundled with squid) so that all my users first authenticate themselves for anything they want to do outside our network. I don’t mind if they have to first fire up the browser to authenticate themselves and then use any other application for interacting to the outside world like cute ftp etc. It is important though that once authenticated the users be able to use all facilities – like pinging any Internet host or run their Instant Messenger clients or use ftp programs.

Thanks,
Ajay

“I don’t want to know the 10,000 ways in which it can’t be done. I want to know the one possibility by which it can be done” – Abdul Kalam, Presidential Candidate, India

http://mail2web.com/ .