[squid-users] Host based acceleration

From: Simon Bland <sbland@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:24:13 +1000 (EST)

I'm trying to set up a squid to do acceleration for a machine servering
many virtual hosts.

I'm a little confused about how it works exactly and would really
appreciate it if someone could explain the configuration for me.

I'll try explain exactly how I want to set it up, and hopefully it'll make
sense.

I've got an apache server holding well over 50 domains, all set up as
virtual hosts with an IP of a.a.a.a however the route to this machine is
on a connection that can't support the traffic going to that server.

A machine is setup on a new line and I'd like to be able to point some of
the domains to this machine so it can get the pages over the local network
between them and server those ones over the it's new line. (Say the IP of
this machine is b.b.b.b)

So let's say I've got 4 domains www.someplace.com www.otherplace.com
www.hugetraffic.com www.evenbiggertrafic.com. Right now, all of them point
to a.a.a.a

I'd like to setup www.hugetraffice.com and www.evenbiggertraffic.com to
point at b.b.b.b

As far as I can tell I need to point my DNS for those two domains to
b.b.b.b, give b.b.b.b entries in /etc/hosts to tell it that they should
really be found on a.a.a.a

The squid conf should have
httpd_accel_host a.a.a.a
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

and appropriate acl's to ensure it's only accelerating the domains I've
asked it to. (Not sure exactly what they'd be, I've been more concerned
with the acceleration that the security so far)

So far this configuration has given me near results, however it always
resolves back to the first virtual host the the server, not the one I ask
for.

What have I missed, or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.