Re: [squid-users] Performance tunning !

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:27:27 +0200

Joe Cooper wrote:

> In the two cases I've seen it, setting a max MTU of 1476(?...1500 minus
> whatever the GRE overhead is, which I think is 24 bytes) on the real
> interface (i.e. not the gre interface) of the Squid machine makes the
> problem disappear. Disabling MTU discovery did not have an impact.

Odd... are you using GRE for the return traffic as well? I am not really
sure how things pulls together on the host side when using the gre
module..

> It is likely that doing the same on the Cisco router side would also
> have a similar effect. I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure.

Probably not. To work around MTU problems by lowering the MTU you need
to address it at the side seeing the problem, not the side causing the
problem. To work around it at the side causing the problems you need to
increase the MTU.