RE: [squid-users] freebsd vs linux

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:29:00 -0400

Firewaxx,

        That is a great way to start a flame war in a respectable forum such as
this. Hopefully, my answer will swiftly diffuse possible flames.

        The best Operating System for Squid, or any service for that matter, is
the Operating System that you know the most about. If you have never run
either Linux or BSD, but have extensive experience with NT, Solaris or
any other OS that Squid can run on. Definitely run Squid on top of that
OS.

        The learning curve for a new service is quite often difficult enough,
but to have to learn all the ins and outs of a whole new Operating
System, just to run that service is an even more daunting task. Jumping
onto a new platform can create all sorts of security risks and
performance issues, if you are unfamiliar with how that system operates.

        For instance, the default installation of many Operating Systems have a
number of services running that can introduce a variety of security
issues. Someone that is quite familiar with how those Operating Systems
function can easily shut off or perform the fixes for those services to
create a much more secure platform.

        If you have little to no experience with a UNIX environment, I would
recommend going to your local bookstore and taking a look at books on
Linux and *BSD. Personally, if you are looking for an OS to start
learning UNIX with, I recommend starting with Linux, due to the wealth of
information available for that OS. Plus, many modern Linux Distros are
designed to make the transition to a UNIX-like platform far easier then
my personal experience with the *BSD's have been.

        After you spend some time learning the ins and outs of whatever
UNIX-like platform you choose. Which could take as little as a few weeks
to several months, depending on your willingness to give up sleep and
human contact. Then look into implementing Squid.

        After getting to that point, I definitely recommend expanding your
knowledge into other UNIX-like and "True" UNIX Operating Systems. The
important thing to learn is the command line, as it is typically very
similar across all UNIX-related Operating Systems.

        I hope that is enough to get you started.

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer
IMPEL Industries, Inc.