Re: [squid-users] 50 requests per second

From: Robin Stevens <robin.stevens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:48:40 +0100

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 01:08:00PM -0400, Robert Adkins wrote:
> May I ask some specs on that one box that you are using? It would help
> greatly to know the level of hardware required for such an install. It
> might end up being more cost-effective and less of a headache if there is
> system failure, to run two systems.

While I can't speak for Joe's systems, we have servers capable of
sustaining peak loads well in excess of 200 requests/second without
noticeable loss of performance. In tests I've had them as high as 300/sec
with significantly higher (but not unbearable) latency. But I've yet to be
convinced that the current four servers will be enough to see us through the
2002/3 academic year if traffic continues to grow at the present rate...

Our hardware is based around Dell Poweredge servers: single PIII CPU, 1.5
or 2GB RAM, 7x 10000 or 15000 rpm cache drives giving about 100GB of cached
data per server. Software is based around Redhat Linux with 2.4.x kernel
and reiserfs cache partitions (mounted noatime,notail) and squid 2.4Stable6.
I'll probably be investigating 2.5 over the summer while we've got the spare
capacity for me to perform tests.

Joe always seems to be recommending considerably more RAM for that amount
of cache disk, but I guess this depends on the size of the average stored
object. In our case this is around 20k - we get a lot of downloads into
tens or even hundreds of megabytes.

--
--------------- Robin Stevens  <robin.stevens@oucs.ox.ac.uk> -----------------
Oxford University Computing Services ----------- Web: http://www.cynic.org.uk/