Re: [squid-users] --Enable-Linux-Netfilter(problems and qestions)?

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:53:09 +0200

Morteza Kabiri wrote:
> Hi, to all
>
> 1. How can I use "--enable-linux-netfilter" parameter for squid that
> preinstall in linux redhat 7.2 as part of linux redhat
> And how can I assure that my squid is compiled with this
> parameterv"--enable-linux-netfilter"?

To know you will need to look into the SPEC file of the corresponding RedHat
source RPM package for Squid..

> 2. I read in much documentation for transparency of squid, must redirect
> all request on port 80 to port squid (3128 or 8080)
> And must use this command: ipchains or iptables, what are the different
> between these commands? Do you need use both or the both work same
> together?

ipchains is for Linux-2.2, iptables is for Linux-2.4. You are using Linux-2.4
and SHOULD use iptables.

> 3. What is Netfilter and masquerade, I see them in many documentations,
> how & where can I find Netfilter?

netfilter is the low level hooks in the kernel allowing iptables to get access
to the packets. netfilter also includes a kernel level framework for
connection tracking and NAT.

Masquerade is a variant of NAT where a private network masquerades as a single
public IP address.

--
Basic free Squid support provided thanks to MARA Systems AB
Your source of advanced reverse proxy solutions or customized