Re: [squid-users] Poor performance of squid-2.5 on Redhat 7.2 compared to Solaris 8 on x86

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 01:47:56 -0500

It is a known quantity, at this point, Dan. Not much to debate.

aufs is faster than diskd, which is faster than ufs. The difference
between aufs and diskd is probably about 20% (and the difference between
ufs and either of the asynchronous disk types varies based on number of
disks, underlying filesystem and probably CPU speed, but it can be quite
large--on the order of 100%+ with a large number of disks, or as little
as 30% for a single disk).

In reality, for many users it makes very little difference which store
type you use. It only matters when you begin to hit pretty high traffic
loads (in the Mbps range). If you've only got fifteen users, or even 50
users, any of the store types should work fine.

That said, I always use aufs. Don't specify the number of threads when
configuring however, unless you know what you're doing (and even if you
think you know what you're doing you probably still shouldn't alter it
from the default). Squid will automatically use 16 threads per disk,
which is a pretty good number for most modern hardware.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.