Re: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy w/ User ID's

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 00:59:41 +0200

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 21.56, [WiZKiD] wrote:
> Here is a suggestion, if someone knows how to port a Perl script to
> C please? I am not that good with C but require the speed of it.

Quite often good perl scripts does a good job..

> I know the Transparent Proxy you can't authenticate to due to the
> nature of the Proxy login system. But here is an alternative which
> will satisfy the login scheme as well as support the Transparent
> proxy. So now you can use redirectors which use the SQUID
> redirectory interface BUT chnage the user ID based on thier IP
> address... now here is the clintcher, it has to do the
> IPADDRESS->username lookup on EVERY REQUEST!

Yes, this scheme has been proposed a number of times, and implemented
by some. Should note that it only works when your network guarantees
each user gets his own unique IP address. If there is multiuser
stations such as UNIX or Windows Terminal Server or NAT/Masquerade
devices then IP based authentication schemes won't work that well.

Schemes like this is greatly simplified by external_acl
<http://devel.squid-cache.org/external_acl/>. external_acl and also
makes the helper speed less of an issue as the helper program do not
need to be called on each and every request, plus allows the username
to be logged in access.log..

Note: external_acl is available in Squid-2.5 and later.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer