Re: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy w/ User ID's

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:21:21 +0200

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 04.50, [WiZKiD] wrote:

> Yes, but here is the problem. How would I go about modifying the
> USERID? The only reason I want to really implement this (and do it
> to withstand a good heavy load) is to simulate the N2H2 system,
> which is what the school systems here use. We all do have a single
> IP address associated with each station and no NAT between the
> proxy & the workstations.

Right. How to actually return the userid was missing from the
external_acl documentation. Added. See the referenced web page or the
next Squid-2.5 snapshot.

> The Authentication system is actually has nothing to really do with
> the userid given back by the redirector script. The way the CGI is
> made is it will use its own password (key) system and if the key
> exists, or the ID/Password pair match change the USERID for that
> station only, to something else which can actually be an ACL name,
> which the next (linked) redirector can use to change its security.

external_acl had nothing to do with redirectors. external_acl is a new
option in Squid that allows you to define custom ACL types using
external helper programs. See the referenced web page or a recent
squid-2.5 version (2.5.PRE8 or later) for details.

> .. Otherwise HOW can you use Transparent Proxy system with an
> authentication system? Since the Transparent Proxy disables the
> ability to use the Proxy Authentication system.

By using the IP address as you have done. I only claim that in the
upcoming Squid-2.5 release there is a easier and more efficient
method of integrating such helpers, giving you additional powers.