Re: [squid-users] Question about url redirection

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:20:19 +0200

On Thursday 04 July 2002 08.10, Stefan M. Ritter wrote:

> So, if I have the following redirector which mapps 2 official web
> urls to internal servers:
> s,^http://www.shopping.com,http://server1.internal.other.com,
> s,^http://www.buying.com,http://server2.internal.other.com,
>
> Will this be a problem for caching because I have different domain
> names for official and internal servers???

Not for caching, but you might experience some HTTP issues as the
rewrites are not always fully transparent. It is best if the internal
servers firmly know their official names. There is several cases
where your internal servers may expose their internal name to the
clients.

> What I have seen so far is, that only server1 and server2 will
> occur inside the cache, but not shopping and buying, because
> the cache uses the urls it gets from the redirector.

Correct.

> I really dont understand what this "1-1 mapping" means.

That if you are using a redirector to map domains to their backend
servers the mapping must be unique for each unique URL. This because
Squid caches on the URL after redirection.

Think about the situation where you have a internal server hosting
several domains, and I think the 1-1 requirement will be more clear
to you.