Re: [squid-users] winbind authentication, mystical ?

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:51:45 +0200

Federico Lombardo wrote:
> I'm wondering if windbind authentication is as mystical as it is documented
> everywhere :-)

Not mystical, just a bit new..

> Ok, I'm not to be polemical, but I wanna find out wich configurations I
> must give my squid and my samba daemons to make this authentication work.
> Someone can tell me ??!?!?!?!?!

You need Samba-2.2.4 or later configured with
  * winbindd support
  * the needed winbindd extensions for Squid NTLM (only if you are planning on
using ntlm)

You Samba needs to be made member of your domain. See the Samba winbind
documentation on how to set this part up.

You do not need to set up PAM or NSS Winbind integration to make Squid work I
think, but I am not 100% sure on this part..

> Other problem... In a previus mail Henrik tell me to make wb_auth work
> before making work wb_ntmlauth... but I can't realize how to make I work...
> I start wb_auth by command line in libexec/ directory, then? what I must
> write ? what are the possible arguments and options ? If I write my
> username and password?

Basic authentication helpers all take "username <space> password" arguments as
input. Just start the helper and type your username followed by your password
and press enter..

The winbind helpers do not take any command line arguments.

--
Basic free Squid support provided thanks to MARA Systems AB
Your source of advanced reverse proxy solutions or customized