Re: [squid-users] Squid very slow after 3 weeks

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 17:33:21 +0200

On Saturday 06 July 2002 16.56, Sina Tolouei wrote:

> AS you guessed ,I use Ipcahins for transparent proxy , the script
> i wrote is as follows

> does using iptables affect the speed?

The thing is that the Linux-2.4 ipchains emulation is not very well
tested, and many revisions of the Linux-2.4 kernel has serious bugs
in ipchains. One quite notable is that the REDIRECT target leaks
memory causing your system to gradually run out of memory and degrade
in performance..

iptables has been working really well for a long time, and is what
people actively use on the Linux-2.4 kernel (and is why it is also
considerably more stable and bug free than the ipchains emulation).

> and i have to mention that the Runtime info was in the time of
> worst cache speed!

I did not see any highly obvious signs of poor performance in the
runtime info at a first glance.

Try the following procedure to try to isolate where the problem is:

1. Restart Squid. If this helps, and it still performs good after a
few days then there probably was some kind of temporary hickup.

2. If it did not help, reboot the server. If rebooting helps then
seriously consider swiching to use iptables instead of ipchains
emulation..

3. If rebooting did not help then I would guess the problem is
networking related. Check your cabling etc.. netstat -i is also your
friend... (there should be no or very few errors in the network
traffic)