[squid-users] using SSL to encrypt passwords

From: Joshua A. Fiske <fiskeja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:32:18 -0400 (EDT)

Okay, here is the situation that I find myself in. I have squid
configured and running perfectly. I am just using it as a proxy (no
caching). Before a user can use the proxy, they must authenticate.
I have installed the pam_auth module and configured it to work with squid.
All of this is working nicely.

However, when the user authenticates to the proxy, their username and
password are sent in cleartext (thus they are easily intercepted). Does
squid support using SSL for authentication? I realize that squid supports
SSL proxying, but that is not what I want to do.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

-- Josh