Re: [squid-users] Why no graphics?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 02:43:56 +0200

On Thursday 11 July 2002 01.33, Carolyn Longfoot wrote:
> Sing along:
>
> Henrik is the greatest
> Henrik knows it all
> There isn't a Squid problem in the ocean
> That Henrik could not call.

Blush :-) (yes, I am a very shy person)

> But back to business: turning off server persistent connections
> made no difference but turning off client persistent connections
> made all the difference in the world, for both IE 5.5 and Netscape
> 6.2 I might add.
>
> It seemed that with the default settings Netscape was faster but
> individual pictures still only popped up every 10 seconds or so.

Odd.. one could think HTTP would improve in later releases..

Historically Netscape has done a quite good job in the HTTP
implementation (HTTP/1.0+persistent connections), while IE has done a
good job at the HTML level but quite many problems in HTTP..

Wonder what will happen the day Squid becomes HTTP/1.1.. Will any
browsers work then?

Most my testing is done with Netscape 4.7X, and occationally IE 5.X
(5.01 I think..).

> Is there any penalty to disabling persistent connections, other
> than the reconnects from the browser to Squid?

Not really. Just makes the client HTTP requests slower due to the need
to reconnect to the proxy for each request. The impact of these
reconnects can be quite significant on a modem or other high latency
client connection...