RE: [squid-users] Alteon + squid

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:46:02 +0200

> Ya, have done testing based on the examples in the
> documentation. But, it
> doesn't seem to work.
>
> Understand that it will not affect Squid in anyway, just want
> to see if
> anyone has more info on Alteon.
>
> I am also looking into using CARP to do url load balancing/redirection
> (eg. separate .com and !.com). However, I am not sure if it
> will be bottle
> neck for request processing. Do you know of successful
> implementation of
> large-scale CARP? Besides, L4-7 switch and CARP, is there any
> way to do
> url load balancing/redirection?

Don't do that.
Stick with simple balancing schemes (such as leastconns, bandwidth or
minmisses),
by all means DO enable session affinity (persistent binding in Alteon's
terms) unless you have some PAT (in Cisco wording) or Masquerading (in
Linux wording) upstream firewall, enable cache digests and if you want
to squeeze an extra 2% cache hits also enable ICP. If you also want
NTLM authentication, DO NOT use minmisses. If you have one instance of squid
per host, you can also try multicast ICP.

In other words, keep the Alteon end lean 'n mean, and let Squid do the
grunt work.

--
	/kinkie