Re: [squid-users] Alteon + squid

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:24:12 +0100 (BST)

actually, i was asking about caching [saving] the same
object on more than once cache... if u were using the
Alteon, how would u ensure that aside from getting
load balancing advantages, u don't end up caching the
same object on all your servers...?..

the idea, i think, would be to cache an object once,
on any of the servers, and if a user requests an
object, the squid servers would probably use ICP to
check with each other whether the object is cached,
and if not, retrieve it.. but then the other squid
servers would have to know that one of them has the
object, and therefore, shouldn't cache it...

if this were case, which would be a very efficient way
of utilising resources, wouldn't this present a
latency issue.. because as a user waits for his
browser to respond to a search, squid servers are busy
talking to each other at the back end... please
advise...

AKNIT

I suppose you are referring to having duplicate