Re: [squid-users] Pipelines / plugins / triggers / other proxies

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 21:14:13 -0500

Squid currently has no facilities for processing content beyond the HTTP
headers, in plug-in form or otherwise. There have been a few hacks
along the way that do some specialized form of filtering (like stripping
the anim bit from GIFs, or stripping out javascript), but those projects
never really went anywhere and have long been unsupported.

Robert has done some promising work on generic content processing in
Squid, but ran into some roadblocks that he didn't have time to address.
   You may want to start from there and tackle the issues he ran into,
if you have the time and inclination.

ICAP provides support for similar things in limited circumstances (it is
targetted at content providers who want to customize or aggregate
content or provide additional services nearer to the client). Geetha
(and Ralf? I think) has been doing lots of cool stuff in that area, but
I don't think it will address your needs at all in its existing form.

Dan's Guardian does content processing, and so might provide a good
starting point (note the request attached to its GPL license, however,
before embarking on any commercial work with it). It is a standalone
proxy these days, obviously much simpler in implementation than
Squid...I do not know how compliant it is with regard to the HTTP
protocols, but I haven't heard any particularly alarming things about it
and Dan seems to be a skilled programmer, so I'd suspect it is a good
choice for your project.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.