[squid-users] client timeout and reauthentication

From: Waitman C. Gobble, II <waitman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:43:49 -0700

EMK Design - From The Desk Of Waitman Gobble
Hello

I need to automatically timeout client connections.

If a user gets up from their station, say for a potty break, with their
browser open and connected to the squid cache, it should time them out after
15 minutes of inactivity. After the fifteen minutes has expired should make
them re-authenticate before allowing them to reconnect to the cache.

I was looking at the documentation for the configuration option
client_lifetime, which seems like it would "kind of" do the trick, however I
believe this configuration option would bump them off ever 15 minutes
regardless of activity.

I am suspicious that a browser such as Internet Explorer will retain the
credentials used to log into the cache and automatically re-authenticate
anyhow, this would likely cause a problem with my scheme.

If anyone has experience_with or knowledge_of this kind of stuff I would
certainly appreciate your comments and suggestions!

Thanks and Best,

Waitman Gobble
EMK Design
Buena Park CA