[squid-users] Details of WPAD info caching?

From: Clark J P (Pete) CRBE <ClarkJP@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:38:05 -0400

Hi,
 We use proxy auto-config (.PAC) files to control what/when/how clients use our
squid servers....works great. Primarily we require users to configure their browsers
with a specific auto-config script URL. Of course, by default, many IE clients come
with the "Automatically detect settings" box checked, which causes the whole WPAD
discovery process to run. No problem, we handle this with a DNS CNAME.
I'm trying to find some details on when the WPAD process will re-run to see if
the DNS entry has changed, or the wpad.dat file has been updated. We seem to
have problems with clients caching the wpad information once they have it,
and not checking for updates without manual intervention. Hence, they
don't lean about new squid configurations.
 I've found several references to docs at microsoft but the url's are all defunked.
I've read the RFC which says clients should check on startup, but in reality this
doesn't seem to happen, at least not consistently.
Anyone have experience with this? I realize the issue is a tad out of the
SQUID users scope, but it's the mechanism we use to tell our clients
to use the fine squid cache software!

 Thanks,

 --> Pete Clark
Network Operations, EE, MCSE-W2K, CCNA/CCDA
Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division
ClarkJP@nswccd.navy.mil
Microsoft and CISCO Certified,
"Bringing the world to your desktop"