Re: [squid-users] Squid ACL problem I think.....

From: Waitman C. Gobble, II <waitman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:22:34 -0700

Hello There,

I am not sure if this will be helpful, but at my first glance it appears to
be a DNS issue. Just a couple of lincoln heads of my opinion for you....

Note that when a client going through squid makes a request for a web site,
it sends the host request to the server, where name resolution takes place.
name resolution is not performed on the client. I would suggest performing
some queries for the domains you mention below - from the server running
squid - and see if the resolved addresses make sense.

As an example, let's say I have a client on a network (192.168.168.0/24)
behind a firewall, with squid on a completely different network at a
different location. If I open my browser on the client and request
"192.168.168.5", perhaps some webserver on my local intranet, squid will
look for 192.168.168.5 on ITS network, not the network of the client
machine.

Of course, you can set your browser to avoid the cache request on internal
addresses, or particular blocks, etc.

However - I really hadn't thought much about it previously, but this could
actually be some sort of security concern? Someone outside can easily map to
internal addresses...

I suppose I need to re-evaluate my own squid configuration file....

Take care,

Waitman Gobble
EMK Design
Buena Park California