RE: [squid-users] logging authenticated users

From: Hermann Strassner <hermann.strassner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:04:11 +0200

> i am worrying about logging the usernames in squid!
> in my company i have to authenticate users and log them at the squid log
> HOW LONG they surf! i need statistics.

I think it is not possible the way you want. "surfing" is not a session with
start and end, instead it is a line of single requests. In the log file you
get the time of the requests. You can write a tool, that analyses the log
file and takes the time of the first request as start and the time for the
last request plus a timeout of for example 5 minutes as an end. So you have
the times. But keep in Mind that some tools update automatically some pages
or does check via Internet, for example MS Updater, so some employees surf
24 hours a day.

Hermann