Re: [squid-users] banner ads (again?)

From: Mike Hoskins <mike@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:40:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, notgonna tellya wrote:

> Try squidGuard, at www.squidguard.org. I am using
> squidGuard to redirect a list of sites that contain
> banner ads and porn to a company logo on an internal
> http server.

I had seen SquidGuard previously... But do not want to add another layer
of abstraction to do what I know Squid is capable of.

I received a reply off-list indicating how to set this up with ACLs. I.e.

# block popular ad sites
acl ADS dstdom_regex -i "/usr/local/etc/squid/ads.txt"
http_access deny ADS
deny_info ERR_CUSTOM_DENIED_AD ADS

Where ads.txt contains entries formatted as follows,

000freexxx\.com
039068a\.dialer-select\.com
1\.httpads\.com
1000stars\.ru
100free\.com
100free\.de

I notice squid spends some time in 'poll' state, presumeably reading the
ads.txt file,

% wc ads.txt
    5726 5720 119695 ads.txt

But this is acceptable given the size of our office LAN (~30 clients, with
few simultaneous browses).

Later,
-Mike

--
"Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not wisdom, Wisdom is not
 truth, Truth is not beauty, Beauty is not Love, Love is not music