[squid-users] Getting Squid Worked.

From: De Swardt Voete (KBY) <dswardw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:33:50 +0200

Hi

        I am from South Africa and I do have a problem getting Squid to work
properly. I can give you the following information and after that I will
post my Question.

I am sitting behind a firewall. At the moment our ISP gives us access to
the Internet. The way it's been set up we need to go through them to
actually access the Internet. This means that they block certain addresses
where we are not allowed to go to. I've set up Squid and it's running.
When I use the proxy that I've set up and want to browse our Intranet, it
works fine. My problem is when I want to Browse the Internet through my
proxy it either times out or give an address like this:
www.www.norton.com.com <http://www.www.norton.com.com> even though I typed
www.norton.com <http://www.norton.com> in the address field of my browser.

I also need to add that I am running Squid from a Redhad Linux 7.3
workstation and not server. The PC that I'm running it on does have
Internet access via our ISP. I get my IP address from my DHCP server
running on my Novell server, which means that I also get my WINS server and
my DNS server addresses form the DHCP.

Is there anything that I can do on this side to get my Squid giving direct
access to the Internet without having to use our ISP? If not, what does my
ISP need to do on its side? We work on a LAN and WAN. So to get Internet
access we don't use Dialup.

Can someone please help me on this one. I read FAQ what to do if I'm behind
a firewall. My question in that regard is, how would you be able to connect
to and Outside parent proxy if you're sitting behind a firewall?

IT Manager: Nortern Cape Region
Voete de Swardt (MCSE)
P/Bag X6101
KIMBERLEY