Re: [squid-users] Dual Bus machines

From: Dennis <dennis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:38:18 -0400

At 06:51 AM 08/14/2002, you wrote:
>Because PCI is an unterminated bus that is "tuned" to minimise the affects
>of reflections etc, it's length is critical can can't have too many devices.
>I suspect anything with more than about 3~4 PCI slots actually has two
>physicaly seperate PCI busses. With single processor, these are joined by a
>PCI bridge, so they behave like a single PCI bus. With a dual processor, it
>would make sense to make these two logicly seperate busses for each
>processor.
>
>Have a look at cat /proc/pci to see what you have got. Note that one of the
>devices is usually a PCI bridge. Also note that the AGP slot is a seperate
>logical "PCI" bus.

Intels "server" chipsets have physically separate busses. Generally if you
have different speed slots you have separate busses. I think the newer P4
PCI-X chipsets have 3 busses.

As for the MB/s vs Mb/s, converting Bytes to bits makes it easier to apply
bus bandwidth to ethernet "speed". If you posted that 100BT ethernet was
12.5MB/s you'd have 30 people calling you an idiot before you could close
the window on your mailer :-)

Dennis