Re: [squid-users] Calculation of throughput...

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:41:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Boosten, Peter wrote:

> which give me the following results:
>
> European Proxy (with a 6Mbit-internetlink):
> # transactions: 1,554,209
> avg time: 1,622.91 ms
> avg size: 5,122.98 bytes
> avg speed: 3.08 kb/sec
>
> American Proxy (with a 4Mbit-internetlink):
> # transactions: 477,666
> avg time: 2,124.19 ms
> avg size: 6,508.64 bytes
> avg speed: 2.99 kb/sec
>
> Could this all be right?

For this kind of calculations it is better to use median than average...
average can easily get substantially biased in both directions by a few
"odd" requests.

Also, the average response time depends a fair bit on your setting of
half_closed_clients..

For example, 0.1% of stalled requests with "half_closed_clients on" will
add almost a second to the average response time.

If you cannot do median, then atleast add a filter to your calculations to
ignore requests with a very low or high average thruput as these are are
mainly slow because of other criterias than your link or proxy.

> That means that our internetlinks are slower that a
> normal dialup-line....
> Or am I making some mistake here?

You can only compare measurements done in the same manner with similar
conditions.

How is the "dialup-line" measurements you are comparing with performed?