Re: [squid-users] squid, cache_peer and client's IP address

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:48:21 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Ziaur Rahman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a squid (Version 2.4.STABLE1) server which only redirects the
> requests to a NetCache server. The following will clear everyone out:
>
> cache_peer xxx.xxx.x.xxx parent 8080 3130 no-query proxy-only
>
> Now, the problem is my squid server modifies the header information and
> changes the source (client's) IP address to its own address when it forwards
> to the NetCache. Is there a way to tell squid not to modify the client
> address but to keep it unchanged? My forwarded_for is on. And,
> anonymize_headers are Default (i.e. None).

A proxy does not forward packets. When you use a proxy there are two TCP
connections. One from your browser to the proxy and one from the proxy to
the server (or parent proxy). Since the proxy establishes a new connection
the server or parent proxy will only ever see the proxy's IP address.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell
Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster