Re: [squid-users] Proxy blocks underscore in hostname - DNS RFC2181 says undersc

From: Jason Roysdon <jroysdon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:15:58 -0700

Ah, I believe I found the answer to my own question and on Microsoft's site,
no less:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/iis/deploy/depovg/CfgBIND.asp

"Active Directory Interoperability Issues with BIND 8

As shown earlier, Active Directory records contain underscores. There is a
prohibition on the use of underscore in hostnames (RFC 952, and 1123) and
mail domains (RFC 821), but the use of underscores is not prohibited in
domain names. Because underscores are allowed in domain names—and due to the
number and complexity of the records required by Active Directory—Microsoft
opted to use underscores in the domain name portion of the records to reduce
the possibility of Active Directory data conflicting with existing DNS data.
"

So underscore in hostnames is still not ok, but it is permitted in domain
names.