Re: [squid-users] squid, cache_peer and client's IP address

From: Graeme Wood <Graeme.Wood@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:14:08 +0100 (BST)

It is an email header and nothing to do with HTTP. Programs such as IMP
can stick these extra headers in mail they construct to aid in tracking
the source of mail sent. I guess what is happening here is that the
connection is coming via a proxy and the proxy's address is being used
rather than the address that it was forwarded for. This is a problem for
the implementation of the webmail client rather than squid, though if the
request has been anonymized so that the X-Forwarded-for address is not
available, then there is nothing that the webmail client can use apart
from the connection adddress.

Cheers.

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Squid knows nothing about a X-Originating-IP header. Never heard about
> it before.
>
> Regards
> Henrik
>

> Ziaur Rahman wrote:
>
> > I get the client's IP address from the X-Forwarded-For just fine. Now, the
> > X-Originating-IP header, that is widely used by many free webmails, (i.e
> > hotmail, yahoo and others) reports the last (parent) proxy server's IP. I
> > believe the first server (squid) is reporting X-Originating-IP to the parent
> > as its own IP instead of client's IP. Is there any way I can make the
> > X-Originating-IP report as the client's IP or may be assign
> > X-Forwarded-For's values in X-Originating-IP? I hope I am not fantasizing..
> > :)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Zia

Graeme Wood Email: Graeme.Wood@ed.ac.uk
Unix Systems Support Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh Fax: +44 131 650 6552