Re: [squid-users] Help getting squid configured

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 01:06:07 +0200

On Friday 23 August 2002 21.21, Joe Cooper wrote:

> o NTLM authentication. This protocol cannot be proxied, not even
> by Microsofts proxy product. It will not work through proxies.

Further: For quite obvious security reasons NTLM authentication should
not be perfomed over the Internet or other insecure links, and and
user-agent who willfully accepts on doing so using the users domain
account is highly insecure.

> If this site is not using some technique that cannot be proxied,
> and Squid still doesn't work with it, then yes, it should be fixed.
> But I'd be shocked if it is a compatibility problem in Squid
> rather than a brokenness on the origin server.

Agreed. However, sometimes a brokenness of a origin server can be
worked around in Squid.. in any event first step is to identify the
reason to why the request does not work, then one can speculate on
how to best fix it. In doing this log_mime_hdrs is a good help, so is
ngrep and friends and the HTTP specification (RFC2616)